Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rest Day - Learning to Take it Easy

Today is a rest day. My training plan includes four running days, two cross training days, and one rest day. But I'm so used to working out that it's hard to rest! I really need to rest, though. Yesterday during my three mile run, my shins started hurting. That's a sign of "too much too soon." I increased my mileage too quickly. I know what I'm doing wrong, but it's hard to stop. I hae a training plan, and I'm trying really hard to stick to it. It's just that for the past three weeks, I had to skip my long run. Now that I'm back on track, I'm doing too much at once.

I think I might need to eliminate one of my running days. Monday is a "recovery" run, so I might change it from a 3-mile easy run to a 3-mile walk. I don't really know what I'm doing. This is all trial and error for me.

So, today is a rest day, but I don't feel like resting. The weather is beautiful outside! It's almost 40 degrees! This is Northeastern Pennsylvania in January, people! I should take advantage of the nice weather!

I'll share an excerpt of the e-mail I just sent to my sister:

"I'm really fighting the urge to exercise right now! lol. I got an urge to get up and do some squats. I don't know why. Then I reminded myself that my legs are tired, and I need to rest before my 8-mile run tomorrow. So then I got an urge to those side crunches that I saw people doing at the gym. Ab work is okay on a rest day, right? Why is it so hard to rest?? LOL"

Reading back over that, it sounds sort of like I'm addicted to exercise! I don't think that I am, but I do tend to have an "all or nothing" mentality when it comes to diet and exercise. I think that's why it's hard for me to rest, or to have a "cheat" day in my diet. It feels like I'm giving up and going back to the days when I ate junk and didn't exercise.

My sister Tonia wrote a blog about her "all or nothing" approach: http://unorthodoxliving.blogspot.com/2010/01/all-or-nothing.html


* * * * * * * * *

In other news, work has been really stressful this past week, but running has really helped me keep my sanity.

I got my picture taken for my new driver's license today! The picture came out okay, I guess. My face looks so wide! I think they stretched the picture or something.

I need to post more pictures in my blog. I like seeing pictures in other blogs.

Here's a picture of me feeling happy because the sun is shining:

No comments: