Thursday, February 4, 2010

I did it! GOAL Achieved!

(Can you tell that the sign says "30" in this picture?)




When I started running, I couldn't help but think of the Presidential Fitness Test in high school where you had to (among other things) run a 10-minute mile. I was not athletic as a teenager. I couldn't even run a quarter of a mile without stopping.







So, when I started running last May, I always had it in my mind that I might one day be able to run that 10-minute mile. I tried once last year, and I ran for about 8.5 minutes at the right pace bfore stopping. I felt like if I didn't stop, I'd fly off the treadmill, and I didn't want to hurt myself.







I thought that my 30th Birthday might be a good day to attempt the 10-minute mile again. This time I made it! I tried not to get my hopes up too much, because there was a chance that I wouldn't be able to do it, but I knew that if I tried hard enough, I probably could.

I have evidence! Now, technically, this says that I ran 1.00 miles in 10:03. The counter turned over to 1 mile at 10:02, and I pressed "stop" one second later. I'm counting this as a 10-minute mile because I ran at 6.0 mph (and even ran at 6.1 for about a minute in an attempt to make up for the time it took the treadmill to get up to speed).

I find it funny that for some people, a 10-minute mile is easy! For me, it's definitely a challenge. Speed isn't really my thing, but I was really happy to accomplish this goal. What a great way to celebrate turning 30, by proving that I'm in the best shape of my life!


No comments: