Thursday, July 16, 2009

No Coffee!

Jen (www.priorfatgirl.com) challenged her readers to drink only water for the rest of the month. When I read about the challenge, I thought, “Yeah, right.” I remember trying to give up coffee a while ago (a few months ago, I think), and I didn’t make it any farther than the first day. Then Jen chastised everyone who commented and said that they would give up everything else but coffee. So, I had to give it a try.

Today is day one of the no-coffee challenge. I should call it the water-only challenge, but I hardly drink anything but water and coffee, so to me it’s the no-coffee challenge.
The thing is, it shouldn’t be that difficult for me. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning. Very rarely, I’ll have a second cup, but it’s usually on a weekend, and I most likely wouldn’t drink the whole thing. I make my coffee weak, partly because I like it that way, and partly because I buy free-trade coffee. It’s expensive, so I want to use less of it and make it last longer. So, in theory, I shouldn’t be as addicted to caffeine as someone who, say, drinks a pot of coffee every day.

But it is difficult. I have a slight headache, and I can’t shake this feeling of being tired. I tried sipping water out of a coffee mug this morning, but it didn’t work. Tomorrow I might even try sipping warm water. I think that herbal tea is allowed (probably decaf only), so I could try that in the morning. I once tried to trick myself with decaf green tea. That didn’t work either.

It’s funny, the emotions that I go through when trying to give up coffee. Almost immediately, I start wondering, “Why the heck did I want to give up coffee in the first place?” That’s where I am right now. I’m determined to at least make it through two days. I really think that it’s possible for me to make it to the end of the month, but for now my goal is to make it through today and tomorrow with no coffee.

Is it wrong to eat chocolate for the caffeine? I had some dark chocolate after lunch, and I sort of feel like I cheated, because chocolate has caffeine. But I didn’t eat it strictly for the caffeine. I usually crave something sweet after lunch, so I have a few pieces of dark chocolate. I got one of those Endangered Species chocolate bars (with a chimpanzee on it), and they are so good! I’m so used to dark chocolate that if I try to eat milk chocolate, it doesn’t taste right.

I read somewhere that an apple will wake you up more than coffee will. I went to the store and bought some apples so that I can eat them in the morning. Of course, I’m hungry for one now, so I’m eating one for a snack. It’s so juicy and sweet! I love fuji apples. And you know what? It might just be a psychological reaction, but my slight headache is going away!

One thing that I have to be careful about is making sure that I’m drinking enough water. I felt like a slug all morning, so I really wanted to just sit at my desk and work all day. I had to remind myself to keep drinking water and refilling my cup. (I usually bring a large reusable water bottle, but I forgot it today.) Normally, I don’t have to remind myself to drink water, but I guess when I’m feeling sluggish, it’s not on my mind.

Do you think you can drink only water for the rest of the month? Join the challenge! Give it a try, you might surprise yourself!

No comments: