Saturday, June 12, 2010

Coal Cracker 10k

Ooh, I'm a bad blogger! I haven't written in months!

I found out that the Coal Cracker 10k race was June 12, and I knew that I was not ready to run it, so I suddenly had an idea: Why don't I volunteer? So I e-mailed the race organizeer (and found out that it's my neighbor!) and asked if they need volunteers. He said that they could always use extra help, so I'm volunteering this morning! I'm not sure what they'll ask me to do, but I'm going to show up at 9:00 am and help out in any way that I can.

I'm trying to think of some good encouraging comments to give the runners, like, "You look strong!" and, "Good job, keep going!" Eh, I'm not that good at comments...but I know enough not to say, "You're almost there!"

I don't even know what the route is, but I'm going to have fun! I'm going to bring my camera, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to take pictures. If I'm handing out water, the runners might get mad at me for taking pictures of them instead of giving out water. lol!

So, in other running-related news, recently I decided to train for a half marathon...and then I decided not to. lol. I think I'm just being too ambitious right now. I should focus on what's directly ahead of me, which is The Loop 5k on June 26. I'm sooooo excited about this race! First of all, it was my first ever 5k race last year, so I want to try to beat my time. Second, my sister is running it with me! She started running this year, and she's getting so much better than me! We've run together a bunch of times (which is a lot of fun!), and she doesn't get out of breath as quickly as I do, and she can run faster! I'm jealous, because I've been running longer, but mostly I'm so happy for her! She is so ready for this race!

After the 5k, we might train for a 10k in August. We're going to work on increasing distance and see how it goes. I'm having foot issues lately. I have so many random pains when running! First it was my shins, then my hip flexor, and now my right foot! My foot goes numb, once it started hurting a lot in my instep and was sore for a few days, and the other day it went numb and I got a blister. Maybe it's a shoe problem? But I've had these shoes for a few months...

In non-running news...I have to have minor surgery on July 16. I won't go into the details, but I have to have a polyp removed from my uterus. The doctor says that it's pretty common, and I'll be able to continue running as soon as I feel better. Hooray!

Also, I'm planning a trip to New York City! Last year, the hubby and I finally got to take a vacation week together, and we did a bunch of day trips, including Niagara Falls, New York City, Wildwood, and a local brewery. We loved NYC and vowed to come back to see more. We might stay overnight one or two nights this year! It's so exciting (but a little stressful) to plan a vacation!

Okay, I think we're all caught up now. Pretty much...I'll be posting pictures from the race later, if I get to take any pics.

Have a great day!

No comments: